Monday, June 29, 2009

Frameworks - onTap, and my decision

So, a few months ago, I started to look at frameworks that would help me out with a big site I have. now it is not like a ridiculously huge site, but for me it is big. I looked around and read up on some of the frameworks that there are. I think that I did a pretty decent job of searching through them all, and in the end I decided to use the onTap framework. there were these considerations that lead me to this decision:
  1. It supported internationalization, which is a huge plus for this site
  2. I could move my relatively large website over in a piecemeal fashion as it supports the fact that not all the pages need to be in the framework
  3. It has its own ORM with datafaucet
  4. It supports a plugin architecture so there are things I didn't have to develop
  5. It is dead simple to configure.... no xml
  6. All of your CFM files are compartmentalized in folders and you can seperate different page operations by the file structure.
  7. It uses/supports Lazy-Loading
  8. It was developed and is supported by Ike Dealey, who is a pretty damn smart guy... and I will do a follow up on my good friend Ike and his latest project...
All in all, the transition was pretty smooth, I am sure that I am not using the framework to its fullest potential, but some contractual problems with the client didn't give me enough time to move it over properly before rollout...

Live and learn I guess.

If you have any questions about onTap please let me know and I will share my experiences further.

No comments:

Post a Comment